Thursday, September 24, 2009

Who knew that pain would make me faster!?

So, why is it that the faster I run, the less my legs hurt?

Yesterday, I tried running a really fast 4 miles. One problem: my quads were killing me from all that resistance work on the eliptical two days ago. So, as I'm running through my pain, I'm realizing that the faster I go, the less I hurt. Interesting concept, huh?

After some pondering, I decided this is due to one of two things:
1) The faster I run, the harder it is to breathe. So I am more concentrated on breathing right than on my quads hurting.
2) The faster I run, the closer I am to the finish, which makes me happy and I know I will finish sooner, which means my legs will stop hurting sooner.

Either way, this is all one big mental vs. physical game. The point is that if I can make my brain focus on things like breathing or finishing rather than on pain and exhaustion...I am unstoppable!!! :)

"Work My Ass Off" Day 2 is now complete.