Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Running for Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis

Good evening everyone,

First of all, yes, I had a tough "kick my ass" workout tonight at the gym. Forty minutes of eliptical, up to level 13 today, and then 30 minutes of arms and abs.

Secondly, and very importantly, I have recently decided to run for a cause. I am running to raise awareness of Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis. These are digestive diseases that currently affects 1.4 million Americans, including my 26-year-old brother Daniel who sufferes from Crohn's. For the rest of his life, unless a cure is found, he will suffer from severe stomach pain and will have to take medication every single day. If he skips a day of his medicine, it is pretty much guaranteed he will be in pain the following day.

I am hoping to 1) raise awareness of the diseases because so many people don't even know they exist. I didn't have any clue before Daniel was diagnosed. I am also hoping to 2) raise money for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America. This foundation conducts research on Crohn's disease and Ulcerative Colitis in an effort to find a cure as well as the causes of the disease. Clinical research also determines which medical and surgical options work best for patients.

Please help me to not only find a cure for my brother and others suffering from Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis, but to also help find the causes of the diseases so they don't continue to affect people all over the world.
Check out my fundraising website to see how you can help. I greatly appreciate any and all donations. Even a small donation goes a long way towards my $5,000 goal.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Hopefully you have learned a little bit about Crohn's and colitis just from this!

2 comments:

  1. Rachel! I love that your running for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America! I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in December 2005 and take medication every day of my life that will only subside the symptoms of a chronic illness. Thank you so much! You'll see a donation as soon as I have some money in the bank account! Good luck!
    Sincerely,
    Claire Vanlandingham

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet, Claire! I knew you had something similar to my brother, but I never realized it was Ulcerative Colitis. I'm very glad to hear that my efforts may help to find a cure for your disease!

    ReplyDelete